“Christ is all in all.” Remember, therefore,
- it is not thy hold of Christ which saves thee – it is Christ;
- it is not thy joy in Christ that saves thee – it is Christ;
- it is not even thy faith in Christ, though that be the instrument – it is Christ’s blood and merits;
- look not so much to thy hand with which thou art grasping Christ, as to Christ;
- look not to thy hope, but to Jesus, the source of thy hope;
- look not to thy faith, but to Jesus, the author and finisher of thy faith.
We shall never find happiness by looking at our prayers, our doings, our feelings; it is what Jesus is, not what we are, that gives rest to the soul. If we would at once overcome Satan and have peace with God, it must be by “looking unto Jesus.” Keep thine eye simply on Him; let His death, His suffering, His merits, His glories, His intercession, be fresh upon thy mind; when thou wakest in the morning look to Him; when thou liest down at night look to Him. Oh ! let not thy hopes or fears come between thee and Jesus; follow hard after Him, and He will never fail thee.